The questions I use to determine whether a deal will close can be answered with a Yes or a No.
- Does the person you are speaking with have the authority to make a decision to purchase [OUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE] should you choose without asking anyone else?
- Has this Person of Authority agreed to a timeline for making a decision and agreed to a scheduled Decision Meeting?
An opportunity without a Person of Authority or lacking a decision timeline is NOT an opportunity.
When I ask these questions during a pipeline review, salespeople typically do one or more of the following:
- They blame the prospect for ‘not mentioning it.‘
- They complain that the prospect’s answers were ambiguous or vague.
- They share the entire history of their relationship in an attempt to distract me.
My position on this is straightforward.
- It is your responsibility to know the answers to the questions above.
- It is your job to probe and push until your understanding is unambiguous.